Tuesday, March 1, 2011

second half of February

Hopefully these "report" thingys aren't too boring, but hey I'm having a good time with it, so I'll continue. During the last two weeks in February, we made:

Herbed Baked Eggs
These were kinda fun. Some cream and butter were put in muffin tins, put under the broiler, then an egg was cracked in and topped with herbs and parmesan and baked again in the oven. They were kinda a different twist on eggs. Liked ‘em, and will make them again. 4.5 stars
Source: Baking in Paris Cookbook

Strawberry Soup
I was reminded of my dad creating a strawberry soup thing when I was in high school, and lately decided that it sounded delicious and wanted to recreate it. I pureed a bunch of frozen strawberries, then heated it up on the stove with a little bit of lime juice and honey. After a while I added in some half and half and some milk, thickened it up a little with some cornstarch, chilled until cold, and add in some diced strawberries. This might be more of a “summer-y” sort of deliciousness, but all I’m saying is that it is FANTASTICALLY delicious! 5 stars!
Source: My dad and me!

Asian Chicken Mango Salad
Sometimes I think that sometimes its silly to have straight up recipes for salads, I mean, you just throw a bunch of stuff together with dressing right? But I also wouldn’t think of some different combinations without some ideas from recipes. The salad I made here had lettuce/spinach, chicken, mangoes, craisins and yellow peppers with poppyseed dressing. Yummmm. 4.5 stars
Source: Adapted from Worldwide Cookbook

Johnny Cakes Cornbread
These were… alright. Kind of on the dry side, but still fun with chili. Again, not a very “unique” or particularly special recipe, but fun to try out eh? 2 stars
Source: Grains Galore Cookbook

Lemon Meringue Tart
This was way good! A bit time intensive with the three different parts (crust, lemon filling and meringue) but it was fun, tasty and made a good finished product. 5 stars.
Source: Baking in Paris Cookbook


My favorite dish of the half-month: Strawberry Soup! So good!

No comments: