Thursday, March 31, 2011

march food

Whelp, this month was still relatively productive, despite the baby being born. I had absolutely no idea that the recovery process from delivery can be so... awful? Draining? I just was not expecting all of that. It was SO NICE having my mom here for a while to help me and hold the baby. And to be my birthing coach. She was a lifesaver. And we made a couple of things together too. So, on to food.

Chicken in a Blanket
This is your chicken and cream cheese mixture wrapped up in a crescent roll. It was pretty good, Matthew even liked it despite the cream cheese. It's not so good as leftovers though, at least not to me.
Source: Recipe from a friend

Kozhi Chicken Curry
This Indian-ish dish was good, although the flavors were definitely not something we have very often. I think the best part of it was buying the spices in very small amounts from the bulk spice section at Sunflower Market. Love that place. Anyway, although it was good, it was a little bit too different to be something that I'd make again soon.
Source: Worldwide Ward Cookbook

Oven Omelets
There was just something fun about making this. Maybe it was that there were potatoes in the omelet, or that you baked it in the oven. Or that you have one omelet for two people. Or that it was something a little different with eggs. I think variations on eggs will be appearing frequently here. This is definitely something we'd do again.
Source: The food network

Red Chili Chicken with Rice and Black Beans
This dish was super simple to make, and is just another variation on Mexican and chicken, but I really loved it, and Matthew actually said while eating the leftovers that "you know, this IS really good!" The recipe suggests serving with salsa... I mixed some salsa into the actual dish so everything was warm, which I thought made it even that much better.
Source: Annie Eats blog

Spicy Corn Chowder
This soup had corn (obviously), potatoes, bacon, bell peppers, cream...so if you're in to that sort of thing you'd probably really like it as much as I did. I'll probably make it again in a few months.
Source: The food network

Nutella Cupcakes
This was such a disappointing recipe. Sure, the cupcakes tasted good, but I was so excited for them to taste  super nutella-y, and they ended up just tasting chocolate-y. Oh well. Maybe I just needed to put in more nutella than what the recipe called for or something.
Source: Tartelette food blog

Chicken Normandy
Probably my favorite dish of the month. It was chicken and apples cooked on the stove, (I swear, most of the things I make are variations on chicken), and then simmered in a creamy apple cider-y sauce. I made it with my mom a day or two before having the baby, and both of us really loved it. It also wasn't too labor or time intensive. This is definitely something that will be added to my regular meal-making repertoire. (If you decide to make this, and I would highly recommend it, I substituted chicken broth for the brandy)
Source: Simply Recipes blog

Southwest Stuffed Peppers
I've been wanting to make some stuffed peppers for a while, but none of the stuffing recipes or combinations I've come across have really piqued my taste buds too much. This particular recipe, however, had me convinced, and it turned out really well. The stuffing part was fantastic (we put in some steak instead of so many beans--it was a good choice). We were thinking that the stuffing part would also be really good in a corn tortilla, or in a casserole dish as more of a dip.
Source: Our Best Bites food blog

Chocolate and Caramel Cookies
Oh snap, these were good. It's a chocolate cookie dough (with chopped chocolate chips mixed in) that is wrapped around a Kraft caramel. I love caramel, and so I realllllly liked these cookies. The only thing to be aware of is that you really should underbake them, because they set up a lot afterward. On the same note, when they cool off the caramel tends to get a little harder, but its nothing that 9 seconds in the microwave won't fix (and I'm sure if I had underbaked them a little more it would have helped that too).
Source: Crepes of Wrath food blog

 Ok, obviously I've taken a lot of recipes from online sources. Finding and reading food blogs is one of my guilty pleasures, I think. But having a link just makes it that much easier to go look at something and see a picture of it, eh?  Peace!

3 comments:

rick and cheryl said...

Um, I really like that you post yummy recipes. I always need more ideas. Thanks!

The Meyers said...

You're right, they're not good leftovers. SO, we stick the filling in the fridge and bake them day-of instead of sticking the whole roll-up in the fridge. Works great! I make these a lot and finally mastered the recipe. Yum!

rick and cheryl said...

We had the southwest stuffed peppers tonight. I added a little grilled chicken to the recipe...it was fabulous! We're putting the leftovers on salad &/or burritos tomorrow nights. So Yum! Thanks!