Tuesday, May 31, 2011

not a bad deal

I really do try not to make too many of my posts on here about food, but I have yet another food related topic I want to write about so here we go. This past week we decided to participate in a Co-op around here. We paid $15 and got a basket with 6 different kinds of fruits and 6 different kinds of vegetables in it. It was pretty exciting picking up our produce and putting it all in a laundry basket to carry home (not all items pictured):
The biggest benefit from this is that we got about $37 worth of food for $15 (we were curious so we priced out what we got at the grocery store.)
The downside is that you don't get to choose what kinds of fruits/vegetables you get--you just get whatever was cheapest and in season that week. So, we got 2 cantaloupes and 3 cucumbers which neither Matthew nor I really like that much. Although, we brought them with us to a barbecue with some of Matthew's family last night, so instead of being straight-up moochers we actually contributed to the meal (haha?). So it worked out really well. We plan on doing it again--the co-op that is. Okay, okay, and contributing to family meals. And, thanks to our produce basket, I've been enjoying mango-pineapple (with yogurt and ice, too) smoothies the past few mornings and oh my heavens they are soooo good!

No comments: