Monday, May 2, 2011

april food


Risotto with Peas and Prosciutto
Our second try at risotto—this time much more successful. No cheese and just a touch of cream, with the addition of the peas and prosciutto, made Matthew liked this time around much, much more. Actually he really loved it, which is a ringing endorsement. Go me.
Source: A combination of several different recipe ideas

Roasted Chicken with Lemon
The recipe that I took this from actually used fish here, but I never ever cook with fish because we both really don’t like it. So, it might have been better as a fish recipe, but it was still fine with chicken. Nothing to write home about, but it was a good meal.

Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemon
Here’s how this dish went: boil baby potatoes, smash them with the palm of your hand into disks, pan fry them, and coat them in a lemony dressing. It would have been delicious, but the lemon was a little overpowering. Next time we’ll leave out the lemon dressing and call it a jour.

Herbed Pasta Primavera
Similar to something I made in February (I believe), this dish was basically a mixture of pasta and vegetables (carrots, green beans, zucchini, green onion). I wouldn’t normally think of carrots and green beans with pasta, but there you go. Not bad.
Source: Better Home and Gardens cookbook

Foccacia
This was amazingly fantastically delicious. Focaccia is an olive oil and herbed bread, if you didn’t know. This recipe made a whole 12x17 pan of bread, and boy I could’ve eaten the whole thing in one meal if my stomach would have had room. Matthew also loved it. Definitely a winner.

Chicken Piccata
Eh. This was all right. I don’t really have anything else to say about it. 

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
These were great! I was a little dubious, because I don’t really like barbecue sauce, but we used J'dawg's bbcue sauce and they turned out really delicious, and more significantly, Matthew loved them. Success!

Chicken in Tarragon Sauce
This was one of those recipes that was a “well it wasn’t super amazing but it was something different and expanded our culinary horizons a bit and it wasn’t bad” sort of recipe. 

Let's see... over all, I think that the foccacia, meatballs and risotto were the favorites from this month. Hey we can have 3 favorites...it's hard to choose!

No comments: