Saturday, June 26, 2010

To go or not to go

At  BYU you run across what I like to call The Dilemma of the Opened Door. This happened to me just a few days ago. Here's the deal:

Guys at BYU are pretty into being chivalrous and gentlemanly and so they often will hold open doors for girls. I think its nice. However, what do you do if you think they are opening the door for you, but they're not being obvious about it? As in, they open the door, but don't stand quite to the side so that someone could pass through, so you're left there for a split second wondering what to do. Let's consider the options in these special circumstances.

Option A: Guy means to open door for you, but you don't go through.
Not being sure of his intentions, you hold back, waiting for him to go through. But he is waiting for you, so there is this awkward little gap of time where no one is really moving, until he makes a gesture to you to pass. Awkward all around.

Option B: Guy means to open door for you, and you go through.
This is the ultimate win-win situation, he feels like a good man, and you've gotten a door opened for you.

Option C: Guy doesn't mean to open door for you, but you go through.
This really is the worst option. This is what happened to me the other day. Now with this option, you never really know for sure what his intentions really were, but you wonder, and then feel like a jerk thinking that maybe you just barged right past him, essentially cutting in line. Rude. At this point all you can do is hope you don't run into him on campus in the next few hours.

Option D: Guy doesn't mean to open door for you, and you don't go through.
Again, win-win, although less win-win than option B because guy isn't fulfilling his chivalrous duties. Still, no awkward or potentially rude moments, so win-win it is.

There you go. What's the take home message? Well, as bad as some of these options are, none of them are as awkward as when you think someone's waving at you, but they're waving at someone behind you.

1 comment:

The Figgins said...

You forgot option E which is the one I normally use because I am just rude and don't know what to do in this situation. I always open another door for myself. Then if it was someone I know I usually make some exchange about my fierce independence taking over or something stupid. I wish chivalry was either alive or dead. What is a girl to do?!?!