Monday, October 10, 2011

Scary movies

You may have noticed that the few times I have talked about movies on this blog, I've never mentioned any movies that are even slightly scary. That is not a coincidence.

Some sorts are okay. Movies about natural disasters, or sometimes alien invasions, like War of the Worlds or Transformers, or action movies, stuff like that is okay. But anything that is jumpy, or is something that could and does happen, no way. Like Taken. Seriously? How can people watch that movie? I would pee my pants... and then for three weeks afterward I would keep the doors locked, sleep with the lights on, keep a bat with me at all times, and maybe even make Matthew stay at home to protect me. Yeah, it would stay with me for a long time. And I am Number Four. Matthew wanted to rent that one, but I vetoed it because people hunting down someone seemed pretty freaky to me. I've never watched Signs, because although I've been assured it's not "scary", I'm under the impression that it is pretty jumpy. No can do for jumpy movies. And obviously stuff like Scream 4  I would never, ever in a million years watch.

I don't understand the world's preoccupation with scary movies. Whenever we go to Redbox I'm always amazed that there are a ton of movies that look pretty freaky. How do people watch scary movies? I freak myself out plenty all by myself, I don't need images and jumpiness and story lines and scary music to keep me even more perpetually freaked out.

2 comments:

Franjesevic said...

Oh Steph.... TAKEN is one of the BEST movies ever made. However, considering you go to france... then I guess it could be more realistic. I do agree though, the jumpy movies like scream or paranormal activity or SAW? NOT HAPPENING. Gratned... most are rated R, prophets are so smart!!

Erica Hansen, MS, RD said...

I'm the same way. I used to love scary movies, but now I think "why do I need more anxiety in my life?" Also, I saw Taken and couldn't sleep for months or stay home alone. I paced the entire movie. And...it made me never want to travel abroad. Definitely don't recommend it for your life ambitions.