Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Coping Mechanisms

Even if you have a baby that is beyond adorable, she still spends plenty of time being whiny, crying, fussying, or just plain difficult. However, I have developed some very sophisticated coping mechanisms to prolong the moment of coming to the end of my rope.

1. Adorable outfits
As silly as it seems, it does make it easier when my Natalie is all dressed up in a cute little dress or outfit, with a pretty flower or bow in her hair. I mean, even if she is fussy, at least she is fussy AND cute. And then I can look at her and think, "Oh you are being such a pill. But you are still so stinkin' cute!" So, a HUGE shout out to everyone who has given Natalie a pretty outfit. Not only do you make her look good, you are contributing to my sanity.

2. Sing-song voices
This is all about either singing words to nonsense tunes you make up, or making up new words to songs such as Teacher, Do You Love Me, I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home, Saturday is a Special Day, etc. So, for example, to the tune of Saturday is a Special Day: Natalie is a happy girl/she makes me so happy when she smiles...

I know, awesome lyrics. Just make sure you do this with the windows closed.

3. Crying/yelling
Fun fact: if you start crying/yelling/screaming at the same intensity with a similar intonation as the baby, she will stop her cry/yell/scream and turn around and stare at you. I try not use this one too often but sometimes I'd just rather listen to myself than her.

The first two are the most effective, not to make her stop fussing, but to help me not get upset or overly frustrated. And I will say, that most of the time and more and more often, she really is a good, happy baby. But she is a baby. Which is why I need coping mechanisms.

1 comment: