Thursday, February 3, 2011

remember that one time

You expect that there will be some awkward, or at least interesting, transitions during life as newlyweds. I never realized that what to call the in-laws, specifically your mother-in-law and father-in-law would be one such transition.

When we were dating, it was "Brother So and So" or "Sister So and So." Around when we got married, we were informed that both sets of parents prefer to be called as "mom" or "dad." This seemed right because it seems weird to address your mother-in-law as "Sister so-and-so" but we felt a little nervous and awkward just all of a sudden making the leap to "mom" and "dad." So for several months we just didn't call our new parents-in-law anything.

Until one day, Matthew and I were walking to school, talking about this, and decided that it was time to make the leap. My parents were coming into town the next day, so it was a perfect opportunity to just let it slide out in conversation at some point. So, we practiced, pretending to be our parents and addressing them with the appropriate titles. It was great. We got through the first few times just fine, and now, the whole "mom" and "dad" thing rolls off the tongue. My dad, being the nostalgic guy he is, almost busted his buttons when Matthew first called him dad. Haha. Anyone else experienced this, or was it just us who felt nervously awkward about the whole thing?

4 comments:

Francisco J. Darquea said...

yeah, it's awkward for me to call my mother in law "Mami" but she loves it! It's not too bad once you know it's not awkward for them!
-Em

Christa said...

Hahaha. Totally had the same awkward transition. I decided I just couldn't call my parent in laws "mom and dad' so I just call them by there first names. But I seriously just didn't call them anything for so long. Why is it so awkward? Funny.

Mallory said...

haha I love this so much. I think my favorite is that the two of you practiced. You guys are too darling.

The Meyers said...

Hahaha! The first time either of us said Mr or Mrs to our in-laws, both of our parents said "Oh no, call me (insert first name)." It's pretty natural now. Kinda of like how you call an aunt and uncle by their first names! (Speaking of, did I ever tell you Dave and your uncle are pretty tight these days?)