Thursday, February 17, 2011

25 degrees outside

We had a fantastic and romantic Valentine's Day--beautiful flowers, Matthew made dinner, chocolate and frosted sugar cookies were involved... fairly standard, but still great. Obviously because I have a significant other Valentine's Day is a little more exciting, but seriously, there is no reason for people to get all Singles Awareness Day, I-absolutely-hate-February-14th, just because there may not be a significant other in their lives. I dunno. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I was much older and single and frustrated by that, or perhaps if I'd had some recent tragic heartbreak, but still, here's my view.

We all know that Valentine's Day is a very overcommercialized, "Hallmark holiday," so if you're single, why not just not stress about having a boyfriend/husband or whatever and just get a little caught up in the commercialization? Buy some chocolate, make some cookies or whatever, write a few Valentines for your friends or family, enjoy the evening with friends or family, you know, just take it for what its worth and enjoy it. I know one year of college, when I was single, my grandma sent me a popout elephant Valentine and my family sent me some cookies and homemade Valentine's cards that everyone had made, and it was wonderful. Anyway, that's my last word: stress a little bit less and just embrace the sugar overdose and commercialization!

6 comments:

nathan said...

Exactly! Well, don't embrace it too much, but have fun with the sweets and the cards and the giving. :)

nathan said...

I can't comment enough! Here's another way to be happy on Valentine's Day: http://theformer786.blogspot.com/2011/02/im-not-alone-i-have-salad.html

Sarah said...

I agree! My second V-day at BYU (I was single at the time), I babysat for a friend and got to spend the evening with a cute little baby. I was even paid with a box of chocolates (score!) and a friend (not a boy) brought me a little V-day treat. It was awesome and I wasn't really worried about being all lonely and single. Pretty sure by the next Valentine's day I had met my "permanent" Valentine though haha. :)

Stephanie said...

hahaha! Nathan that link is hilarious!

The Meyers said...

Yeah, agreed. My sisters and nieces always get me valentines! Besides, I hate when people get all "commercialization" about vday. I mean, whether it is or isn't, you can't just have one day devoted to love? What on earth is wrong with one day being devoted to love? Don't make it about the flowers and chocolate then if you don't like it, make it about a special day devoted just to doing extra nice things for the people you love.

Mallory said...

Steph you are marvelous. can you please write a column in the newspaper or something?! haha I love reading your thoughts. Probably because I just love you. :) Happy love day!