Monday, March 22, 2010

To the perfectionist: Be perfecter!

So. One of my professors, the fabulous Dr. Nyland, shared this excerpt from a BYU devotional in one of my classes last year. It was one of those things that I remembered and stuck with me, and this week, I got a copy. Matthew and I both thought it was pretty interesting and thought provoking, so I will share. The point: sometimes only 100% perfection is acceptable.

...did you know that accuracy of 99.9% would mean that we would still have:
1 hour of unsafe drinking water every month
2 unsafe plane landings per day at O'Hare Airport in Chicago
16,000 pieces of mail lost by the US Postal Service every hour
20,000 incorrect prescriptions every year
500 incorrect operations each week
50 babies dropped at birth every day
22,000 checks deducted from the wrong bank account each hour
32,000 missed heartbeats per person each year.

No comments: