Sunday, January 3, 2010

Christmas comes this time each year

First of all, this is post #101!

Also, I think that the lyrics "Christmas comes this time each year" from the Beach Boys Christmas song are some of the funniest and silliest lyrics written.

Christmas. Was. Fantastic. We spent the week leading up to Christmas in Minnesota, with my family. As in, Matthew and I. That in and of itself was only the best of times. Here are some highlights from that week:

We all went to downtown Minneapolis for the Hollidazzle parade - its during Christmas and has floats from different fairy tales, nursery rhymes and stuff. It's always super cold, but lots of fun.





Nathan was my best friend, and my little shadow. He sure is cute! He got so sad when we left, too


 


 Relaxing. No school and no obligations, being able to sleep in until you feel like getting up is golden.


We liked making (and eating!) Christmas treats. This year I got a fantastically delicious recipe for caramel popcorn from a friend, and we made double batches several times. In fact, I wouldn't mind having some right now...


Christmas was a bit of a scramble, but we got some fun Christmas presents for everyone. We got my mom a one hour massage. We made my dad a memories book, with everyone's input and quotes and pictures. We put a "Creative Dating Survival Kit" together for Aaron. We found a cookie shirt for Nathan, and had lots of fun finding and putting together stuff for everyone.

 The cookie shirt


 And... I got Kansas Jayhawk basketball tickets for Matthew!!! (Well, technically, Matthew's mom got them.) That was an exciting surprise present.

Some other Christmas present highlights: a bike for Matthew, fondue maker, socks and a belt for Matthew (why??), a lot of spices for me (I'm super excited about these), books and movies, cookie cutters, and a very nice bit of cash.

I'm not quite sure why, but Matthew was SO excited about socks...

But, none of these were the MOST EXCITING AND SURPRISING PRESENT. My parents always do one bigger "Santa" present each year. This year, we got a puppy! And one of the cutest little puppies you've ever seen.

Opening the Santa present... finding a dog toy, dogbowl, leash, puppy food etc...

Turning around to see mom holding the puppy!!

We named him Sparky.



We also went to the temple and did a session with my parents. That was a really neat experience, and it was fun and interesting to be in a smaller temple.There were also perfect snowflakes falling in this picture!


4 comments:

nathan said...

Sparky is a good name for a dog.

megan said...

yeah...was the name Matthew's idea?

Mamabug said...

Fun times - carmel corn always sounds good to me. Cute little puppy - is he a Bichon Frise?

Je.suis.Steph said...

Yes, it was Matthew's idea. And no, he isn't a Bichon Frise, he's a Golden Doodle - a cross between a poodle and golden retriever. :)