Sunday, November 7, 2010

The learning curve

If being married has taught me one thing, it has taught me that insurance companies are just not your friend. The other day I was talking on the phone to my mom about my woes trying to get insurance to cover stuff, and my dad walks by and says, "Oh, insurance companies? Let me talk to her...Stephanie, at the second coming, the wicked and proud will be burned. I am convinced that certain companies and certain people in those companies, like insurance company people who enjoy denying claims and watching you squirm and suffer, are included in that category." I thought that was hilarious. bahaha.

Currently I've been trying to get my insurance to pay their normal covered rate for some pump supplies. In the past it wasn't an issue, but now they are saying they will only pay a much lower rate, and if I want the higher rate, I have to buy from a different supplier. You with me? The problem is that the supplier's prices are so much higher that either place I buy from, I'm going to be paying at least 2.5 times as much as I was for pump supplies. So my goal has been to try to convince the insurance company that it actually is in their best interest to cover me for the original, lower cost manufacturer--they save a bunch of money as well. Doesn't make any sense, but of course they don't really care eh? So my initial call to the insurance did not yield any good results. However, my mom and dad had this brilliant idea to call the manufacturer who I normally buy the lower price supplies from, and see if they could help me out on their end. Turns out in one relatively short call I was able to get my needed supplies for a very good price. Relatively speaking.

The thing I realized during all of this is that I am paying for... wait for it... plastic tubes and plastic plungers. What?! Very possibly the most overpriced plastic there is. When I was on my parent's insurance (before marriage), diabetes supplies just magically appeared in the the cupboard. Too bad that doesn't work anymore eh?

No comments: