Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The overstatement of the season

Utah was supposed to get the winter blizzard of all blizzards yesterday... but all we got was a dusting of snow and a big letdown. What a kick in the pants eh? The best part was how serious BYU got about it, and I guess if we had actually gotten a legendary blizzard it would have made sense. Better safe than sorry I suppose, but...

1. they closed down campus early, at 3pm (not that I'm really complaining about that) and
2. sent out numerous text messages and emails and calls through their emergency alert system. This wouldn't have been so bad, but the texts that I got came in random, non-coherent pieces. For example, Matthew got this message:

S: Extreme Weather Emergency alert from BYU Police: The National Weather Service is warning of a winter snow today that will far surpass anything that we've seen, probably for the last several years. The combination of snow, extreme cold and possibly damaging winds will make travel extremely hazardous. The storm will begin in the north and move south., hitting SLC later this afternoon. Please watch the weather reports and be prudent in your travels.

So that was the message he got, all in one text. I got what was supposed to be the same message, however it came to me in 11 different texts as follows:
Text  #1: S: Extreme Weather Emergency a
        #2: Police:
        #3: warning of
        #4: surpass a
        #5: for the la
        #6: of snow, e
        #7 winds will
        #8: The storm
        #9: south, h
        #10: afternoon
        #11: and

What the...???

Anyway, I guess Salt Lake valley did get a fair amount of snow, and I'm sure other places in Utah got more than we did too, but for us, we were super excited for tons of snow, but all we got was a little bit of white stuff on cars and the grass. Lame sauce.

2 comments:

TrishHawks said...

I got the same texts and I'm not even a student anymore! What the heck?! I was annoyed!

Reagan and Sarah said...

Hahaha oh my gosh. Love the post because I felt exactly the same. And I got the same weird 11 texts too!! What the heck?