Sunday, November 21, 2010

3 Reasons Why Harry Potter isn't Epic

Matthew and I did end up seeing this last Harry Potter on the opening day. And I have to say that although we enjoyed the movie and thought it was overall pretty good, we are both of the opinion that Harry Potter movies (not the books, but the movies) are just not what they could be. They're good, but just not epic. Feel free to disagree, and we're sure many people do, but this is our personal opinion. Here are the reasons why:

1. Acting. Neither of us feel that many of the lead roles have very good actors, with Harry, Ron and Malfoy being the biggest culprits (Seriously, does Ron have any other facial expressions other than "ugh, I'm scared and I think I'm going to be sick"?) To their credit, they have gotten better throughout the series, but still the acting leaves much to be desired. And actually, now that I think about it, many of the minor or supporting characters aren't that good either. Albus Dumbledore is an exception. He's wonderful of course.

2. Soundtrack. While the main tune is good (you know which one I'm talking about), I noticed that the  general soundtrack just isn't that memorable. I can't think of a single other tune in it, and even though the main song is catchy, its just not epic. For example, I can only think of one song from Pirates of the Caribbean, but hello it is fantastic.

3. Book-turned movie plight. We felt that instead of striving to form a coherent and compelling plot with good character development, the writers chose instead to pick and choose exciting events from the book and throw them together. We understand that you can't include everything (especially all the conversations) from a book in the movie, but we feel that more could have been done to create a storyline that could stand on its own, without having to rely on your knowledge of the books to put things together. For example, Lord of the Rings (an epic trilogy if there ever was one) does a fantastic job of combining sweet action scenes with good character growth and a developed storyline.

1 comment:

The Figgins said...

I whole heartedly agree!