Thursday, September 2, 2010

Jobs and flowers

Greetings from the world of unemployment! In case you didn't know, turns out the economy isn't exactly producing a multiplicity of jobs... so this college grad is writing this post at 11:30am on a Thursday, from the comfort of her couch, sans job. And its not even because I'm not trying. Oh I've tried. And I will continue to try. Tomorrow.

The good news is that I am looking at 2 gorgeous bouquets of roses that my dad and my husband got me for my birthday. Sometimes you get a bouquet of flowers and they don't really open up very well, or they just die right away. Lucky for me, both of these bouquets have been fabulous and opened up just beautifully. It makes me excited for next semester when Matthew is going to take Floral Design (and he's doing it of his own free will and choice!) That's right folks, not even something that I'm secretly signing him up for. Can I just say I'm stoked for gorgeous arrangements of flowers each week? Cuz I totally am.

Speaking of secretly signing Matthew up for classes that I want him to take (read: French), I again signed him up for French 101 this semester. And he even went to a day of it! Yup, my husband has taken exactly one day of French class. And then yesterday he decided to drop it and add another smarty-pants Physics class. Electrostatics and Magnetism or something like that. And it makes sense in the grand scheme of things... so I guess I'm ok with it.

But it puts a damper on all of my plans. My big plan is to have Matthew realize that there is nothing he would love more than to get a job or do an internship in France for a year or two. And there are plenty of physic-y things to do--working at the Large Hadron Collider is one of them.  But I realize that its hard to take the leap from his current mindset to the "it would be a great idea to live in France" mindset. So... to help facilitate the change of heart, I figure that taking several French classes could help. *Sigh* Oh well. We'll try again next semester. And, for the record, Matthew did tell me that he would be willing to take a French class or two, but it just didn't work out very well overall this semester.

One last thing. My job up until last Friday has been working as a secretary in the Nutrition department office. Up until a month ago, I just came in for 2-3 hours in the afternoon and would work on random stuff after the regular secretary went home. Well, she got a different job at the end of July, and so I became the only secretary for many weeks. It was great--I got more hours, and got to learn and do a lot more stuff. In fact, that was going to be my "full-time" job when I graduated, except there is a hiring freeze at BYU, so they couldn't hire me as a regular staff person. Which made my job a bit of a two-edged sword in the sense that I was learning how to do a lot more stuff and was feeling fulfilled with my time at work...but I knew that in a few weeks everything that I was learning would become irrelevant (because it would no longer be my job). Oh well. It was still a good experience. On my last day, I came into the office to find this cute thing on my desk:

Flower shaped measuring spoons! How happy is that?! The dietetics faculty gave them to me, as a thank you for helping out a lot more the last month (and its true, there were a lot of things to do to get ready for the beginning of school). Anyway, I appreciated their thoughtfulness. And they're so cute! I just can't quite get over it. :)

1 comment:

mommykay said...

Now you have lots of professional experience to put on your resume'. So the hiring freeze means they will have to do without a secretary at all? Good luck with the job hunt.