Monday, July 27, 2009

The parable of the earrings

So, I have a story to tell.

Last August, I had a birthday, right before classes started. My dad gave Jonathan some money to take me shopping. So, we went up to University Mall. It was actually hilarious; I think this was the first time Jonathan had gone shopping with a girl, and I think he was feeling like his manliness was being called into question by being in a girly clothes store.

So we buy a shirt. Then we go look at earrings. (I LOVE earrings.) And we spend forever looking at them. Jonathan said I couldn't buy the ones that looked like a piece of metal that a train had run over and flattened, or the ones that looked like Saturn. However, he did let me buy the ones that looked like a wrecking ball chain thingy. So, after buying some earrings... that was the end of the money dad had given Jonathan for me. But... he had also given Jonathan a little bit more that I suppose was technically destined to pay for something for Jonathan. But, I knew that deep, deep down inside, what they realllllly wanted to do with that money was buy Stephanie a pair of pants. And so I helped Jonathan see that and convinced him, possibly slightly against his will, that that's what he should do.

Now for a long time, it would seem that Jonathan resented the way that money was spent. In fact, when Jonathan would tell that story, I think a lot of people resented the way that money was spent. :) Annnddd, before I get even more people up in arms at me, here's the end of the story.

For the past few months-ish, whenever Jonathan sees me wearing these earrings, which is a frequent occurence, he gets all excited and points to them and says in this sorta high pitched man voice "look! its the earrings I bought for you!" And he kinda claps his hands and gets a big smile, and you can tell that he loves the fact that he spent that extra money on me. And its true, he's even said it. He is glad he did it.

Moral of the story: Always spend money on your sister. You know you want to!
Another moral of the story: I have really nice brothers.


Disclaimer: I take good care of my brothers too. Don't hate. It's a happy story :)

No comments: