Saturday, July 9, 2011

Why I probably wouldn't vote for Romney

Not even considering policies and ideologies, if Mitt Romney won the Republican primaries, I would be very hesitant to vote for him. Specifically because he's LDS. I know, I sound like one of those crazy un-informed Mormon haters but here's my reason why.

Let's consider Obama right now. I don't really know any specific numbers or percentages, but I think it's safe to say that there are a lot more people dissatisfied with him now as compared to when he took office. And I don't think that his inability to really improve the economy, fix healthcare, curb the deficit, blah blah blah is really all his fault. Of course he should have/could have done things differently. But these are big problems that are hard to just simply fix. In a lot of ways, I think he just has had a really stinky situation to work with that no one could have completely "fixed." And his inability to rectify these problems has drawn a lot of criticism of him.

If Mitt Romney was the Republican candidate, and he beat Obama, I don't think that by the time he took office many of these problems will have gotten a whole lot better. I think he'll be dealing with a lot of the same types of hard problems that are very complex and difficult to fix. Even if he is successful, it seems people are always unhappy with the President. So I can see him drawing a lot of criticism. And I can see a lot of that criticism in the form of "Romney stinks, he's not doing a good job, therefore, all Mormons are also dumb." I would just be afraid that the church would get a lot of negative PR, even though it's ridiculous and we all know that the church in no way supports or endorses any political parties or candidates.

Anyway, I only moderately follow politics and the news and stuff, so I'm no expert, but this is my opinion and the impression that I get from different things I've read. And although I would be hesitant to vote for Romney for the reasons mentioned above, I don't really feel awesome about voting for Obama. So waddaya do? I guess we'll just see what happens in the upcoming months.

1 comment:

Mallory said...

Miss Steph! I didn't realize that we should talk politics. I love hearing peoples thoughts and opinions on candidates and stuff. I just don't ever feel that any ONE candidate has it all figured out. Thanks for your post. We need to talk politics next time I see you. Should we create our own international cinema night? Alright. :)