Friday, October 23, 2009

Thanks, Kate

One of my best friends, Kate, wrote this on her blog the other day, and I found it so amusing, I'm reposting:

If for no other reason than the following, walking to school is highly recommended. The other day, on my way home from a long day of school, my iPod died. Broken Heart. Fortunately, I was able to be inspired! Listening to other people's passing conversations is equally as entertaining as listening to my favorite tunes. Here is what I learned:



Humans get cataracts and have to have surgery to remedy this malfunction of the human body. Nothing new there. The conversation--remember I was not actually invited to this conversation so some of the details might be fuzzy--continued in a direction I was not expecting. Eagles, with the same structure of the eye as humans, ALSO get cataracts. For humans, it is an inconvenience that makes us get surgery or glasses or contacts (Contacts are still a mystery to me). For Eagles, their eyes are their main resource for life. Without clear vision, they can't see the prey they are chasing. Bushes and squirrels start looking the same and that only leads to damaged bushes, starving eagles, and an overpopulation of squirrels. In comes technology! We are now, in an effort to save our eagle population, giving eagles the same surgery that humans have been getting for years on their cataracts. Survival of the fittest my eye! (eye...get it?) Darwin did not see this one coming!!

1 comment: