Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Perspectives

I've been doing an interesting conglomeration of jobs since I've been home. Mostly what I've been doing is working as a substitute paraprofessional in the school district. Paraprofessionals (or paras, for short) work with the special education kids, either in resource rooms for kids with mild learning disabilities, autism rooms for kids with autism, or the multiple needs rooms for kids with severe mental and physical handicaps.

It's so sad how hard of a time these kids have. For me, school has always been a breeze. All through high school, I understood my hard classes without really trying. (College is a totaallly different story). I'm not bragging or anything here, its just how it was. The kids I work with struggle to understand simple concepts, and have difficulty applying the same concept to a slightly differently worded problem.

Some kids are completely non verbal. They can't control their bodies very well. They need assistance with some of the simplest daily tasks.

There's lots of examples. But the thing is that all these kids are still so special. ok lets get over the hoaky-ness of that statement and take it for what it means. They are really special. And I like working with them. It's challenging, especially since I'm just a sub, I'm in a different school every day. But I like feeling like, even if it was just for a day, even if it's just a very little bit, I might have been able to help them.

Also, it reminds me that my life is so easy.

On a completely different note:

Why is it at times so difficult for me to forget the past, recognize the changes and really trust what someone is saying?

No comments: