Friday, March 13, 2009

A glacier in liquid form

When I was little, a few times my family took a trip up to Duluth, and to Lake Superior. Even though it was during the middle of summer, the lake was always soooo cold. You'd try to go in the water, but because it was so freezing, you're legs would go numb after a few seconds. Last week I had a similar experience, yet waay more traumatizing. Thursday afternoon the hot water goes out in our apartment. Not so awesome. I didn't realize it until Friday morning (I think...) when I went to take a shower, and the water never warmed up for me. Needless to say, no shower for me. However, I did wash my hair under the spigot. Holy bigoly, I'm pretty sure all of the cold receptors and pain receptors on my head were screaming out in agony. It was absolutely FREEZING. This wasn't just the absence of hot water, this was the overwhelming surging influx of GLACIER water. Not an exaggeration. Next day, I decide to buck it up and take a shower. Like a real shower. In the glacier water. I figured I could handle it. Nope. The cold frigidness absolutely took my breath away, left me gasping for air, and... yeah. Needless to say, it was ridiculous. So by this time its the weekend, so we finally call emergency maintenance, and they come out and fix the heater. Christina takes a shower, but she says the water only started out warm, and after a few minutes had disintegrated down to freezing again. Monday morning we were still without hot water. I decided that enough is enough. I warmed up two large pots full of water, till they were very warm, brought them into the shower and washed with nice, comfortingly warm water. Success. It was fantastic. Oceane said she heard my singing victory music. Later that day we call again, maintenance comes out and fixes it for reals, and hot water and everyone's sanity was restored.

No comments: