Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Remembering

In the Book of Mormon, different prophets talk about the importance of remembering the commandments and the Lord's covenants. Lots of General Authorities today about how important it is to remember. Both ancient and modern prophets have gotten after the people because they are so quick to forget. Recently though, I've realized that the propagation of the human race is probably very dependent on our ability to forget.

I didn't have a particularly awful pregnancy, but it certainly wasn't a walk in the park. Actually, no there were a lot of really not awesome aspects of it. Delivery was fine. But recovery, oh recovery was the worst! I had absolutely no idea how bad the four weeks after delivery were going to be and it was so difficult on so many levels. During the first week after giving birth I remember thinking, like all the time "This is awful. I am NEVER doing this again. Ever."

Anyway.

So yeah, growing and bearing children isn't the easiest thing.

But wait, six months down the road, I'm thinking: hey let's have another baby! Right now! It'll be so fun! At which point Matthew promptly slaps me across the face and says no! (Parts of that last sentence may or may not be true.) Also, about a month ago I was absolutely convinced that I was pregnant, so much so that I took the extra pregnancy test I had. (It was negative.)

The point is, once it was over and removed a few months from me, the reality of what it was like to bear a child is just a distant wisp of a memory. It really wasn't that bad at all! I would totally do it again. Especially for a cute little teeny, tiny baby. And of course, a sweet baby is definitely worth the pain and everything. But if I could completely and accurately remember the hard parts, I would probably be more hesitant.

And that is why, even though it can be bad for our spiritual progression, it is important that we are inherently forgetful creatures, so we can propagate the human race. Because if we aren't fresh from experiencing something, it is much easier to forget the challenges. And that is why I am thinking about how I want another baby. Matthew will never know if I just toss this package of BC pills...

4 comments:

Erica Hansen, MS, RD said...

I needed this pep talk. The first part about the recovery not so much, but the latter part was good stuff. It will pass right? Just like my breakfast this morning?

Emily D said...

Very true Steph. I love how you connected it to the gospel as well. Oh, I have heard that recovery for the 2nd baby is easier. I guess I'll let you know in a few weeks. :)

The Figgins said...

I totally know how you feel. I wanted another baby when Elijah was 6 months old too. I think it's the beginning of your baby becoming a big kid so it feels like time. Something to consider . . . how difficult it would be to have 2 kids at church who are too young for nursery. Having to chase one around while having a teeny baby. My sister told me that the closest you really want 2 kids is about 18 months and for me that is true.

Heather said...

Amazing how that works. I seem to have forgotten plenty of times. I remember with #2, and being sick and wondering now why did I want to be pregnant again. It is a good thing they are so cute.