Monday, July 19, 2010

Hiking Timp

We started hiking at 5:30am...
The climb was absolutely beautiful!
 We also especially loved the waterfalls, and the cool mist they provided. Here we were actually behind the waterfall!
Mitch and Scott were a lot faster than we were...lets just say the hike up was fairly hard, and my legs got tired! Apparently they took these two pictures while waiting for us at a couple different spots. This last picture is really hard to see us, but we're totally there.
Matthew and I inadvertently both wore Kansas shirts on the hike. I cannot believe how many people we passed made some sort of comment like "go Jayhawks" or "I'm going to have to throw you off the cliff cuz you're from Kansas" or "are you from Kansas?" or "this is a long way to come to hike Timp" or "you're not from Kansas anymore eh?" It was pretty crazy.
It's crazy to me that there are actually permanent snow packs on the mountain... and we had to climb through them. It was so weird to be climbing through snow in shorts and a t-shirt, and be hot.
We finally made it to the top after 5 hours of hiking, and boy was it worth it! The view was amazing!
All in all, the hike took 5 hours up, 3 hours back down, to make 9 hours total and 14 miles. As hard as it was going up, the hike down was the worst! We were so sore when we got back home. It was so great though. We did it! With quite a bit of help from Matthew, I made it to the tippy-top! Sorry the post is so long, but for me this was quite an accomplishment. It was gorgeous and I loved it.

1 comment:

nathan said...

I'll make sure to wear a shirt that says "BYU" when I go.