Sunday, September 13, 2009

classes

Classes are going all right. Matthew's taking geography, a bunch of physics, weather, astronomy, doctrine and covenants.

I'm taking dance, french literature, and a bunch of dietetics classes (management in dietetics, teaching methods in dietetics, community nutrition, community nutrition fieldwork, nutritional assessment lab...)

One thing I really like about dietetics. The senior class has 29 people in it - its a pretty small major. We all have the same classes at the same time with the same professor. Really, none of the dietetics classes are offered at different times, everyone is always together. All of our classes are always in the same classroom, too. It's actually really fun. We always tend to sit in generally the same spot. I feel like my classmates have become my friends. Group projects - usually something that I dread in other classes - are great in dietetics, because everyone always puts in a lot of effort, and we're all on the same page, and we know each other. It's a good time.

I'm not feeling too overwhelmed yet. I'm trying to do as much work in advance right now, before the middle and end of the semester when things really get crazy. Another thing I like about my classes this semester: instead of being exam-based, like most classes, they have very minimal amounts of exams, and the emphasis is put on projects. I much prefer that. I feel like I learn better doing projects, and although projects generally require a lot of work, they tend to be a little less stressful (or at least not the same kind of stress) than tests.

I mentioned almost all my classes are in the same classroom - I pretty much living in the Eyring (one of the buildings on campus). As a physics major, almost all of Matthew's classes are in the Eyring too. It makes it so convenient to spend time together, even during a hectic school day. We meet up for a few minutes in between classes, or when we have breaks. It's great.

No comments: